Special Notes for 2021
- We have fully adopted Poll Everywhere, and we no longer use TurningPoint
- PollEverywhere can be used for remote learning or in-person classes.
- Contact us at for further information.
What are audience response systems?
These are hardware and/or software solutions for allowing students to respond to questions posed by the instructor. Depending on the system, instructors have the option to display a histogram of the responses, track who has voted, and track each person's response.
Why do teachers use them?
- Teachers use these systems to informally assess students' knowledge of a topic before lecturing, to see whether students understand a point after it has been explained, and to ask survey or opinion questions.
- For a step-by-step method of using them for peer instruction, see the slideshow by Eric Mazur of Harvard at http://www.turning-talk.com/files/Mazur-PeerInstructionWebinar.pdf. This slideshow uses TurningTechnologies clickers, but any audience response system could achieve the same results.
- Links to a variety of articles on the pedagogy and applications of audience response systems are available at http://tags.library.upenn.edu/project/21851
What systems are available at Penn?
We have standardized on PollEverywhere: